Thursday, July 31, 2008 | By: babedevil

The Killer Vegetable

Went out for dinner with TheParents again. It wasn't so bad this time, maybe because Wei was there.

BabyLern's whole family loves bitter gourd. I don't. In fact, it's probably safe to say that I almost hate it. Usually I don't mind bitter stuff like super black and concentrated coffee, or even those Chinese medicine thingy that Mumi makes me drink whenever I am sick. But the bitter gourd has this kind of bitterness to it that tastes really bad and weird. Yucks!

So when the small little wrinkly vegetables arrived on the table, TheParents encouraged me to have one, and my heart dropped. I don't wanna put that thing in my mouth, but how could I refuse them??? Luckily BabyLern came to the rescue and told them that I didn't eat bitter gourd. Phew!

But TheParents refused to give up, and asked me to try one. And by one I mean the whole baby bitter gourd (which is more bitter than the normal one), not just like, one spoonful. BabyLern came to the rescue again, and said that we'll share one. He took one baby bitter gourd and cut it into 4 pieces. He looked up at my face, and then proceeded to cut 1 piece further into half. So now that small piece more or less come up to a spoonful...a TABLEspoonful, not TEAspoonful *sobs*.

So that spoon was hovering in front of my face. Couldn't bring myself to take it the last few centimetres to my mouth. *sniff sniff* Omg, it smells so not good! Looked up and saw everyone looking at me expectantly. Gave a little smile (more like a grimace actually), took a breath and put the damn spoon in my mouth.

The first chew didn't seem so bad. Then came more chews. And I was reaching for the rice, and my drink....anything to get the taste off my tongue!!! TheParents were looking at me and asked how was it. Dilemna-ing now. To tell the truth or to lie? To say "It was good!" or "It sucked! I hated it! *ptui ptui!*"? In the end, I settled on somewhere in between the two.

"It was ok. *smile and shovel more rice into my mouth*"

Went home in one piece. Looks like the little green bitter vegetable didn't do much damage.

Bleurgh! Can still taste the bitter gourd in my mouth now. *rubs tongue with chocolate*

0 comments: