Friday, January 09, 2009 | By: babedevil

My first and probably last

It started with Beethoven's Symphony No.9 in D Minor, and I guess it is fitting that my last performance will be of that symphony.

I went back to Penang on the 13th of December to prepare for the concert. It was to be held on the 23rd of December, and I couldn't get a returning train to KL on the morning of Christmas Eve, so that meant I had to spend the night of Christmas Eve on the train, counting down by my lonesome. -_-''

I've been singing since I was 13 years old. All that travelling up and down to Penang every week for practice last time was really hectic. I remember every Monday was the day I had to rush out of school to get on the road to Penang. Dinner was always a quick affair in the car, and I had to surreptitiously change my clothes with the risk of every Tom, Dick and Harry on the road catching a glimpse of my bits. Boy, I must have made some pedophiles happy on those Mondays...

It was even worse when I was having private voice lessons...Thank god I decided that singing professionally wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, which meant that I could scrap those private lessons.

But after I completed SPM and came down to KL for college, I didn't have much time for singing anymore. And during my trip back to Penang, I realised how much I missed performing. That feeling of singing your heart out in front of a live audience was exhilirating, especially when you hear the orchestra accompanying you, you just get carried away with the music. And when you hit that very high, high note perfectly...Sigh...bliss

However, most of my old friends weren't participating in the concert this time, so it wasn't the same as it was. Sigh, I miss the good old days. We used to have such crazy times together; modifying classic pieces into our own funny versions of a musical, singing loudly while climbing all those stairs to the practice hall, and making fun of the voice tutors and conductors.

All in all, I was glad that I ended my year 2008 with that performance. It was the year that I was graduating and taking on more responsibilities, so it was sort of a return to the past, looking back on all the sweet and not so sweet memories of my carefree student life. A lot of things happened to me during those old times in Penang. My recent trip there, meeting some people, reminded me of what things were and what weren't meant to be. I guess we just move on with our lives. If things didn't work out the way you planned back then, 9 years later may not change that fact.

I don't think I'll be returning for anymore performances in the future. I've got to get a job soon and that will mean even less time for singing. And I don't think travelling to Penang that often is feasible. And that's why I tried to take as many pictures as possible (notice I used the word 'tried'....stupid disposable batteries died-ed on me at the worse possible moment)!



Orchestra practicing with the conductor



In the conductor's chair...Quick, take the picture before he comes back!!!




Chorus, full dress rehersal




Orchestra, full dress rehersal



With Dr Martin Ennis, the chorus master


With Jascha Y. Shimano the conductor, and Hoong Tatt




With Kayo Takemura the soprano soloist (holding red bouquet) and her husband and some friends from chorus and orchestra.




With Khoo Hooi Lay, the alto soloist



With Stefan from orchestra



With Yee Yin




With Yee Yin and Siew Mi (OMG, I think that's it, I kinda forgot her name...I'm so sorry!) from chorus

0 comments: